Tuesday, October 1, 2013

 Trees of Heaven - Again!
12" x 16"  oil on canvas
starting bid $75

More than a plein air painting, this is a portrait of a tree that I think is pretty special. It is very big and graceful, and it spreads out expansively, shading the street below, the highest branches visible for blocks around.  It's pretty old - it's hard to say if it started out as two trees that grew together, or one that just branched off from the bottom. It doesn't matter -  its size and beauty - that's what I'm trying to show. Its future is uncertain; it might get cut down. 

It's some type of "Tree of Heaven," and though it sounds lovely, making one think of branches reaching right up into the sky, it's a species with very bad reputation for being messy and invasive. So for now it's a Heritage Tree with an uncertain future. The land around it is being developed into a high rise apartment complex, and the plan is to clear the area here to make way for a more "manicured" look. I thought I should paint this lovely tree in case it just becomes another old memory. I've painted it before, but didn't feel like I had caught its size and majesty - I hope I have done so now!  

This piece is painted on all sides of the canvas. It can be framed up, or hung as is.



To see more of my work, please visit my Gallery page at the Daily Paintworks, or visit the Plein Air Artists website. Lots of nice paintings there!


No comments:

Post a Comment